Phone+32 2 289 64 59
Fax+32 2 503 48 58
Francis Goffin is a partner in the Commercial practice group. He works at the Brussels office.
Francis’ main areas of practice include general commercial law, agency and distribution contracts, real estate projects, corporate and restructuring in both international and domestic fields, public procurement.
In relation to public procurement contracts, Francis represents and assists clients in their relationships with public authorities and advises them on registration procedures, planning works and other issues, including related litigation.
Francis also advises and represents Belgian and international clients involved in real estate development retail and construction projects. He advises on leases, acquisitions, project finance, PPPs, refurbishment projects and on social, economic and environmental projects.
He equally advises clients on wind-ups and acts as liquidator of several companies across various industrial and financial sectors covering all subjects relating to wind-ups as well as labour projects.
Francis’s international practice focuses on business relations with China and to an even greater extent, Central Africa.
In China, Francis assists different investors in their settlement projects, whether in joint venture or not, in activity sectors such as textile industry, sports & leisure equipments, printing industry and food industry.
In Central African countries, he has handled legal audits, negotiations as well as the drafting of conventions for the recovery of large companies in the banking steel, energy supply, mining, transport sectors and TMC. He acts as counsel to private and public operators and liquidator to banks and industrial companies in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
He often stays in Kinshasa, working in team with our local permanent corresponding office, Lubala & Associés.
Before joining De Wolf & Partners, Francis was a partner with Coppens, van Ommeslaghe & Faurès (prior to 2000), Coudert Brothers (2000-2005) and DLA Piper (2005-2011).
He is a member of the IBA (International Bar Association), of the European Lawyers’ Union, of the CBL-ACP (Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture, Belgium-Luxembourg-Africa-Caribbean-Pacific), of the BCECC (Belgian – Chinese Economic and Commercial Council).
From 2006 to date, Francis was recommended by Chambers and Partners a leading directory in the legal field together with Herman Lemaire, as a top tier overseas' specialist in corporate and commercial law, for the Democratic Republic of Congo.
· « L’application de la loi étrangère au contrat d’emploi lors de sa rupture », Revue de Droit social, 1977.
· « Les avantages sociaux non imposés », Colloque Louvain, 23 October 1981
· « Concours entre gagistes sur fonds de commerce, l’endossataire de factures et le bailleur », Carrefour juridique, 25 November 1982, U.P.E.A.
· « Le Project Management en Belgique, situation acutelle », conference 1 December 1982 in Managing Construction Projects : une analyse comparative
· « Responsabilités des experts comptables », seminar, 17 January 1989, l’Institut Belge des Experts Comptables
· Speaker at a seminar on investments in DRC, 2005
· 23 and 26 October 2006: speaker at the seminar “Belgian getaway in Europe: investing in Wallonia”, Belgian and European Rules for the implementation of business. Taxation Treaty Belgium Hong-Kong and its extension to mainland China -seminar – conference given in Beijing and Nanjijng during the economic mission in China of the Ministers Simonet and Marcourt
· 25-28 June 2007: “Invest in Belgium. Increase your profits”, conference – Impact of EU competitive laws and WTO Rules on Chinese investments- Major trade Rules in EU- Adavantages of locating Business in Europe -seminar given in Shenzen and Shanghai during the Belgian economic Mission presided by HRH Prince Philippe of Belgium
· June 2008 : Participant in FIT (Flanders Investment and Trade Agency) and FCCC business trip to China – speaker at seminar in Shenyang on “Belgium, bridge between China and Europe – aspects of double taxation treaties and of doing business in Europe
· “La Chine réagit suite aux rappels de jouets”, in L’Echo, 19 September 2007
· “Textile Chinois: bientôt la fin des quotas”, in L’Echo, 21 November 2007
· “Accord inventif entre la Chine et la R.D.C.”, in L’Echo, 16 April 2008
· “La Chine face au défi climatique”, in L”Echo, 18 June 2008